Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dessert first, always.

Since I have been gluten free for about 2 and a half years, due to intolerance issues, I have been finding alternative ways to eat and feed my family without missing the gluten. I still make and bake, but it's really hard to make parker house rolls only to watch everyone else enjoy them.

I found these little crispy's on Pinterest.com. You can find the recipe here. As excited as I was to eat them, since "the classy cook" claims they are as good as the real thing, and I really miss the real thing, in my opinionated opinion, it was just a cinnamony rice crispy treat with really yummy frosting that should be on all four sides, not just the top. But give it a try, they smell super when melting the mellows and spices together.
Next up, the main course, we did enchiladas the Ayala way. In my family enchiladas are made with beef, flour, and flour tortillas, they are a little on the heavy side and I can't eat em any more due to the last two ingredients, call me the worst Mexican ever but I had never had an enchilada in a corn tortilla.

So Jesterday I made the most amazing corn tortilla chicken enchiladas, everyone loved them, I love how the corn offers a little different taste. The recipe is so easy, I did my chicken in the crock pot with the tomatoes and chilis and let it cook while I cleaned, read, played with the cat and dog, showered.. you get the idea, then I put the enchilada's together while the kids did their homework. We usually eat around 6-6:30 at our house, like clock work so I like to have food ready for the savages. These are also one of those meals you can double and throw a tray in the freezer for neighbor or when your not feeling like cooking.

Here is what I did
1. Puree tomatoes (canned or fresh, you chose) and some green chili's (I had dying to be used in the fridge.) You'll want about 5 1/2 cups total for one cake pan of enchiladas.

2. Put the puree in a crock pot set to medium with about 3-4 large pieces of chicken, I like the breasts. Add a bag of California Chili's, can be bought dry and mix all together, I threw in a couple teaspoons of salt and some garlic.
3. Let that cook until when you press a fork or spoon on the breast it just falls apart, maybe 3-5 hours depending on your crock pot. Tear the chicken up so it's all shredded. Put a colander in a large bowl and dump contents of crock pot into colander, so the sauce separates from the chicken.

4. Shred some cheese binch. You'll cover the enchiladas with the cheese, about 2 cups or so. I like sharp cheddar.

5. You have two options here, you'll either dip the tortillas in warm oil (I use coconut) or in the red sauce drippings, this will soften and make the tortilla more pliable to fold and work with.
6. Dip the tortilla, allow excess to drip, put chicken in the tortilla, fold over sides and place in pan. Continue until your pan is full, if you have leftovers throw them into a smaller pan.

7. Cover with cheese. Then pour the remaining red sauce over the enchiladas, you don't want them to be swimming, but enough so that it will bubble when hot.

You can either throw them into a pre-heated oven at 350 or refrigerate and heat later, they only need about 15 minutes to warm, if you want to use less cheese, cover your enchiladas so they don't dry out. These are good with shredded lettuce, guacamole (we ate all ours before I could get a pic) Spanish rice and a little sour cream. (We use plain Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream.)

1 comment:

  1. You're making me hunnnnngry! These look fantastic! (binch) :)

    ReplyDelete