Thursday, February 2, 2012

I pity the fool

For breakfast this week I have been loving sweet potatoes hash brown style. I just grate them up, put some butter in a little skillet, salt and pepper and sometimes I like to sprinkle a little brown sugar on them. I flip them about 1/2 way through. So good, you should try them quick.
I stumbled upon a yummy recipe for beef and broccoli, I subbed some ingredients to make it gluten free, otherwise its the same as I found it on Pinterest, I think it was a weight watchers recipe. My kids loved it, it has the red pepper flakes in it so it was a little spicey, but they couldnt stop eating it!

Beef & Broc
2 1/2 TBS Corn Starch-divided
1/4 tsp Salt
3/4 LB thinly sliced beef
2 tsp coconut oil
1 cup chicken broth-divided
5 cups broccoli florets
1 TBS Garlic minced or grated
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup liquid aminos (Basically vegtable protein, gluten free)
1/2 cup water

So what you are going to do is toss the beef in the salt and 1/2 the corn starch until its nicely coated. Put your coconut oil in a large skillet and heat on med-hi, add the meat and heat until lightly browned, put in a bowl and set aside.

Mix 1/2 cup of broth with 1/2 the corn starch and 1/2 cup liquid aminos. Set aside.

In the pan add the 1/2 cup broth that doesnt have cornstarch and liquid aminos in it, use a wisk and pick up all the bits left from the beef, add the broccoli and cover for about 3 minutes, add ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic and fry until fragrant. Approximatley a minute.

Take your mix of broth, starch and aminos and add to pan. Mix well with other contents of the pan, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thick, return beef and juices to pan, toss to coat.

This recipe took a whole 15 minutes to cook, we waited on the rice to finish! Prep was a little longer because I purchased stew meat and sliced it thinly, but definatley will do this again!!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this (so did the crew). I want to try Subbing the cornstarch for Arrowroot powder.. Any ideas on that anyone? I also added onions with the meat and then right after the broccoli I added some shrooms. Twas delightful indeedy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am So excited for sweet potato Hash browns this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arrowroot should be fine, I was trying to think of a tastier sub, but I am drawing a blank, I almost think you could just skip that step and wouldnt know the difference..

    ReplyDelete